Taiwan Pop-Up Dinner
Sun | Jun 16, 2019 | 6–8:30P
Teacher Henry Hsu
Teacher Valerie Ng
Taiwan is one of the most exciting countries in Asia for a tasting tour. Its unique culinary heritage began with the original Austronesian people and has been enriched by elements from Fujianese, Hakka, and Teowchow settlers from the 17th to 19th centuries, the 50-year Japanese occupation, and the influx of Chinese nationalist dissidents who fled to the island after China’s civil war in 1949.
Henry Hsu and Valerie Ng will introduce you to the island nation’s dynamic cuisine at The Civic Kitchen’s first pop-up dinner.
This event is a seated dinner at The Civic Kitchen. There is no hands-on component - other than eating a delicious meal. Come with your appetite and curiosity for the culinary history of Taiwan.
Your ticket gets you everything on the menu plus a glass of wine, Taiwanese beer or oolong tea.
The menu for the evening:
- Xiao Chi (small eats)
- Fried Peanuts with Anchovies
- Salted Duck Egg Sweet Potato Fritters
- Garlicky Cucumbers
- Ba Wan (Taiwanese Meat Dumpling)
- Fresh lumpia spring rolls
- Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup - “The National Dish”
- Dou Hua “Tofu Flower” - Silken Tofu w/ Sweet Potato and Taro Mochi and Ginger Syrup